Re: Does the Hurd need /hurd ?

On Mon, May 20, 2002 at 08:25:19PM +0200, Marcus Brinkmann wrote:
> On Mon, May 20, 2002 at 10:37:07AM -0500, Steve Langasek wrote:
> > Freeswan has gotten by just fine without the creation of a new toplevel
> > directory for these commands; the supplemental binaries all exist in
> > /usr/lib/ipsec/,

> So the program ipsec is looking in that place for them.  This does not
> happen with settrans.  And it is not ipsec <anything the user likes>, but
> ipsec <some specific command from a fixed set selected by the system
> administrator>, right?

> This looks quite different to me.  It seems to me as that those programs are
> called indirectly by the ipsec program, which has some intimate knowledge
> about where to find helper programs to execute the desired operation.
> Knowledge the user doesn't has and doesn't need.

> No such knowledge about Hurd translators exists in settrans, and it does not
> look anywhere for running them.  It doesn't even care what you try to
> invoke.  The user has to do all the work here.

Ah, ok -- because the argument to settrans can be an arbitrary command,
such as the sh example you gave for preloading debugging libraries; and
therefore, settrans cannot hope to successfully interpret and
'autocomplete' the path to the translator.

That means the push for a /hurd directory boils down to user convenience
(i.e., shorter path name).  I can understand that.

Steve Langasek
postmodern programmer