Re: hurd does NOT need /hurd

At Tue, 21 May 2002 17:16:23 +1000,
Anthony Towns wrote:
> Firewalling tools are provided with the Debian system.
>
> Firewalling tools are not available for Debian GNU/Hurd.
>
> Debian GNU/Hurd will not be released until they are available.

That sounds like "Debian GNU/Linux has firewalling tools, so Debian
GNU/Hurd must have firewalling tools". Then, does Debian GNU/Hurd have
to have everything Debian GNU/Linux has? If Debian GNU/FreeBSD is
released with Jail NG support, would you stop releasing Debian
GNU/Linux? That's nonsense, I think.

So I guess that's not what you meant. I think you wanted to say,
"Firewalling tools are important for Debian, and they are available
with Debian GNU/Linux, so Debian GNU/Hurd should have them as well".
Thus, if my guess is correct, it isn't bad to discuss how important
they are, because not all tools are so important and it isn't trivial
to realize how important each tool is.

Perhaps Thomas wants to say that firewalling tools are not so
important, while you want to say the opposite. Then, I'd suggest that
it might be more constructive for you to point out why you think tb is
wrong.

Thanks for reading,
Okuji