Re: where do NEW packages go?

On Mon, May 20, 2002 at 06:05:36PM +1000, Anthony Towns wrote:
> *cough*
>
> <flashback>
> > That is a nice description for /servers actually (oh, no, another new top
> > level directory.  But that was the last one, promised).
> </flashback>

Ah, oh well, I thought I saw /com mentioned here along with /libexec.
I have read a couple of hundred emails on this topic in the last 36 hours,
and that one has somewhat gotten lost in the shuffle.  Also, I was mainly
having Hurd specific top level directories in mind, which are /hurd and
/servers, not directories that also can be applicable to BSD or GNU/Linux.

> I've got to say that calling the Hurd section the ``GNU specific annex'',
> is very confusing. If you want to call an OS running the Hurd kernel
> "GNU" then we need to drop "GNU/" from our released architectures. Having
> "GNU" standards not apply to a "GNU/Linux" distribution is ridiculously
> confusing.

This is already the case.  We have heard several times yesterday here on
this list that the GNU coding standard does not apply to Debian GNU/Linux.

The name in the annex probably can be clarified, but I don't see your
conclusions as inevitable.

Thanks,
Marcus

Marcus.Brinkmann@ruhr-uni-bochum.de