Re: hurd does NOT need /hurd

tb@becket.net (Thomas Bushnell, BSG) writes:
> No, /bin is for programs that should be in the user's shell path.
>
> In the Hurd, there is a totally different way of starting programs, in
> addition to "started by users at the shell" and "started implicitly by
> other programs".  This way goes by the heading "passive translators",
> and it is such beasties that live in the /hurd directory.

It looks to me like there's a user interface bug here:

Why do users have to type "/hurd/ftpfs" as the name of a translator?
Why can't they just type "ftpfs"?

(Relatedly, can translators -only- live in /hurd, or could an
unprivileged user compile their own and put it in ~/hurd, and have it
work?)

--
http://www.greenend.org.uk/rjk/