Re: Editor Priorities

Hi,

At Thu, 9 May 2002 12:09:20 +0200,
Eduard Bloch wrote:

> I agree - as native Russian and German speaker, I am very pissed off
> about the current localisation issues, especially for multiple non-ascii
> locales.

I think UTF-8 would be the only realistic solution for multiple
charsets, though there are several ISO-2022 softwares which can
use German and Russian at the same time.  You will need to use
UTF-8 locales.  I think that this field still require efforts
in upstream level.  There are only a few softwares which support
UTF-8 and there are even *no* UTF-8-supporting softwares according
to fields.  I recommend you to use xterm, mlterm, and yudit, if
you are interested in *developing* UTF-8 environment.  However,
if you are only interested in *using*, I don' recommend you to
use UTF-8.  It is not yet mature.

For conventional multibyte encodings (I mean, multibyte encodings
other than UTF-8 and GB18030), situation is a bit better and I
think it is now the stage of distribution-leve efforts, because
there are certain amount of multibyte-encodings-supporting
sortwares in upstream level.

> But there are soo many people (mostly native english speakers) that do
> not care about useability for others.

Indeed.  Thus I have to explain what I feel and what I have to do
many times.  However, I believe that Debian people aim to develop
internationalized universal system... otherwise, Japanese people
will again have to release Japanese version of Debian.

> > If you say that alternative mechanism is not a place for i18n,
> > where do you think is suitable?  I think alternative mechanism
>
> Then we should use two alternatives entrys: editor for normal people,
> and rescue-editor for hard-core admins ;).

Well, I have no idea whether this is a good idea or not.  However,
if Debian people refuses one common alternative entry to be useful
for non-European-language-speakers, I think this can be a candidate.

---
Tomohiro KUBOTA <kubota@debian.org>
http://www.debian.or.jp/~kubota/
"Introduction to I18N"  http://www.debian.org/doc/manuals/intro-i18n/