Re: Editor Priorities

Hi,

At Thu, 09 May 2002 10:59:29 +0900,
Tomohiro KUBOTA wrote:

> Note that multibyte support is *mandatory* (i.e., editors without
> it is completely useless) for more than 1/6 of the world's population
> (i.e., CJK), though many *preference* or *convenience* terms (i.e.,
> they improves usability, though usable without them) seem to appear
> in the above list.  IMHO, *mandatory* terms should have more scores
> than *convenience* terms.

Correction: the world population is about 6,300,000,000 and Chinese
population is about 1,300,000,000 .  Japan and Korea (north and south)
is about 200,000,000 in total.  Thus, CJK population is more than 1/5
in the world.

(This correction doesn't affect my opinion.)

Note that summation of CJK, bidi, and Indic people is more than 1/2
of the world population.  Debian should not be designed only from the
viewpoint of European language speakers' convenience.

---
Tomohiro KUBOTA <kubota@debian.org>
http://www.debian.or.jp/~kubota/
"Introduction to I18N"  http://www.debian.org/doc/manuals/intro-i18n/