Re: sid: libc6-2.2.5-4 kills vmware workstation 3.0

On Thu, Apr 11, 2002 at 03:13:57PM +0200, Torsten Landschoff wrote:
> On Thu, Apr 11, 2002 at 01:02:54PM +0200, Jeroen Dekkers wrote:
>
> > > In such cases I sometimes decide to run the non-free tool if it saves
> > > me some time. After all I want to get my job done and I want to have
> > > some time left for leisure or for working on stuff like free software.
> >
> > You restrict yourself to get some leisure. Don't complain that you are
> > restricted from doing something afterways when it doesn't work anymore
> > and you don't have leisure anymore.
>
> That's fine with me. At least I'll have a lot more leisure when using
> an available product instead of re-inventing the wheel. Even RMS used
> commercial software when the GNU software for it was not yet written.
> With your logic he would have written the Hurd kernel and gcc, libc, etc.
> before using a computer. And of course he would have written it in
> machine language since there was no sufficiently versatile free C
> compiler available.

Software always used to be free. That changed, but RMS didn't
change. I don't what software he used to write parts of GNU, but it
could have been free, there was enough free software at time. Oh, and
1) the Hurd isn't a kernel 2) RMS has never written anything of
it AFAIK.

> > > Like you I want other people to use free software as well because then
> > > I hope not being asked about those silly opaque problems in proprietary
> > > programs anymore.
> >
> > Please don't see you want it like me. I like it because of moral
> > things, you just because you get some advantages of it. If non-free
>
> Please don't tell me why I am using free software. I am using it
> mostly for moral reasons and this is why I am in the Debian project
> after all - I want to give back to the community.

You just said that you wanted other people to use free software
because you probably won't get any questions about non-free software
anymore. I don't consider that a moral reason, but if you also have
other reasons, I take that back.

> > software give you (short-term) advantages then you even use that. I
> > would never do that because free software is always better in the long
> > term.
>
> So please don't boot your PC. Or do you have a free BIOS installed?

No, because it's unavoidable to have a non-free BIOS, read just what I
said.

> > > But I am not going to attack anybody because he
> > > likes the proprietary stuff better, not even if it is extreme silly to
> > > do so. If somebody tells me about yet another Outlook problem I will
> > > just smirk and go on to the next email.
> >
> > Yes, and I will tell him why he has this problems and that there is
> > some solutions for it (namely using a good, free MUA). You just let
> > the person helpless, I try to point him to the fix. However if you try
> > to help somebody you should not be a debian developers because you
>
> You never tried to help somebody.

I haven't?

> You are only projecting your view on
> other persons and taking their freedom away.

Where did I take anybodies freedom away? Please don't pick random
sentences and use them on me.

Jeroen Dekkers
--
Jabber supporter - http://www.jabber.org Jabber ID: jdekkers@jabber.org