Re: sid: libc6-2.2.5-4 kills vmware workstation 3.0

On Wed, Mar 27, 2002 at 12:01:00AM +0100, Paul Seelig wrote:
> phillim2@comcast.net (Mike Phillips) writes:
> Petr Vandrovec wrote:
>
> > As SUSv2 mandates that new nice return value is correct,
> > please use nice@GLIBC_2.2.5 (or @GLIBC_2.2.6 as it is in CVS
> > only) for new nice() interface, so old applications will not
> > break.
>
> Let's replace movl %eax,%ebx with xorl %ebx,%ebx ;-) Apply
> ftp://platan.vc.cvut.cz/pub/vmware/vmware-ws-1455-update12.tar.gz.
> It fixes issue for VMware 3.0 and for some 3.1 betas. If you
> are using VMware 2.0 and you suffer from this problem - sorry.
>
> It also fixes crash when you start vmnet-bridge with eth0
> interface loaded, but down, and you'll not 'up' interface
> before eth0 interface disappears (by rmmod -a, for example) by
> fixing problem and not symptoms (like previous fix did).

Let me see if I understand this.  I am running VMWare 2.0.4 and
this morning I discovered that it dies with:

  VMware Workstation PANIC:
  AIO:  NOT_IMPLEMENTED F(566):1081

This is on a relatively current Woody system, and VMWare was
running fine last week.  Is this the same issue, and does that
leave me in the "sorry" category?

(I would like to believe not, since my VMWare sessions are
suspended, and to upgrade them to 3.x I would need to have them
running in 2.0 to turn them off properly).

Don

--
Don Bindner <dbindner@truman.edu>