Re: Debian Conference 2 Registration

On Sat, 2002-04-06 at 18:59, Jeroen Dekkers wrote:
> The keyword here is "prominent".

Yes, it is.

> The
> Debian servers don't run non-free software provided by HP and/OR
> Sun. The debconf2 registration page is hosted on a server with
> non-free software and has a link to a website with a non-free product,
> that's something different then donating hardware.

You are not quite understanding the level of Lindows.com's involvement.
This is not DebConf 2, sponsored by Lindows.com. This is, pure and
simple, DebConf 2. The fact that Lindows.com happens to be helping out
with it is incidental. They were quite adamant that Lindows.com *not* be
given any special treatment or placement - they are helping out with
DebConf 2 because it's the right thing to do, because their distribution
is based on Debian. We are not prominently featuring Lindows.com - they
just happened to be the hosts for our registration page. That's it, end
of story.

If it's not acceptable for proprietary software companies to donate
time, effort, and money to our ventures, then we're in for a shock when
we eliminate all the donated Debian servers and mirrors which happen to
be hosted or paid for by proprietary vendors.

--
Joe Drew <hoserhead@woot.net> <drew@debian.org>

Please encrypt email sent to me.