Re: Debian Conference 2 Registration

On Sat, 2002-04-06 at 15:09, Jeroen Dekkers wrote:
> > I don't *like* the registration page being hosted on IIS. But I prefer a
> > registration page to no registration page at all.
>
> Is it that difficult to make a registration page with free software?

To the best of my knowledge, no. But I didn't have time to learn how and
do it, and Lindows.com decided that they wanted to pay one of their
engineers to do it. It's quite simple: nobody else did it, so I took
Lindows.com up on their offer.

> Also, the form itself isn't free:
> (C) 2002 Lindows.com, Inc.  All Rights Reserved.

Why is this a problem?

> So if microsoft starts spending real money on debconf 3, we all have
> to start supporting them?

This is almost a new case for Goodwin's law. But by "Support" I meant
more along the lines of "thank"; I chose words wrongly.

> Sorry, I think this is ridiculous. Does
> debconf really need money from a proprietary software company?

Why should we refuse? Lindows.com came to us, not the other way around.

I think people are all getting way too upset about this. My main
priority in everything I've said is twofold:
1) Give credit where credit is due, i.e. Lindows.com;
2) Keep Lindows.com from getting flamed by a bunch of people who didn't
bother to do anything for Debconf, but think they can dictate how others
will help anyways.

This doesn't mean I don't want discussion on it, but it DOES mean that I
want to make it perfectly clear that it is very counterproductive for
anybody to mail lindows.com with non-constructive criticism. Saying
"Hey, I see you hosted the Debconf registration form - Thanks! But, it
seems sort of strange that it's hosted on IIS. Why is this?" is one
thing. Saying "Debian has no use for you and your proprietary page,
lamers. Go to hell, proprietary software vendor!" is another entirely. I
want to keep the Lindows.com <-> Debian relationship friendly and happy,
just as they have strived to do.

Remember, Lindows.com wants to contribute to us. We should accept their
support with open arms provided they don't try to subvert our
principles. A web page on a proprietary OS doesn't subvert our
principles, IMO.

--
Joe Drew <hoserhead@woot.net> <drew@debian.org>

Please encrypt email sent to me.