Re: Debian Conference 2 Registration

On Sat, 2002-04-06 at 13:39, Martin Schulze wrote:
> Joe Drew wrote:
> > The 2nd Annual Debian Conference registration page is now available at
> > http://lindows.com/debconf2 . Thanks go to Lindows.com for hosting the
> > web page and all their gracious help.
>
> [...] queso reports
> a non-free operating system:
>
> luonnotar!joey(ttyp2):~> sudo queso lindows.com
> 130.94.123.205:80       * Reliant Unix from Siemens-Nixdorf

I doubt very much that this is accurate. It's likely a router or some
firewall rules that are confusing queso. (Who actually uses "Reliant
Unix" on a public host anyays?)

> Form submission goes to:
> Submit to http://net2.com/_vti_bin/shtml.dll/debconf2/index.html
>
> If I get this right, then registration for the Debian Conference,
> to a conference run by Free Software bigots, goes through heavily
> non-free and proprietary software that we are not even allowed to
> place in our non-free section outside of our distribution.

I saw this too, and was a bit unnerved, but might I direct you to the
first thing I said: "Thanks go to Lindows.com for hosting the web page
and all their gracious help." Lindows.com have spent real money on
Debconf already, in bandwidth and server costs, and also in the engineer
costs for the back-and-forth that went on getting that page to have the
information I needed. For all the offers of support I got, Lindows.com
is the only one who actually followed through.

I don't *like* the registration page being hosted on IIS. But I prefer a
registration page to no registration page at all.

Let me re-iterate this for people who might not have gotten the message:

LINDOWS.COM HAS SPENT REAL MONEY ON DEBCONF 2 AND DESERVES SUPPORT, NOT
SCORN.

It'd be a very, very bad idea for anybody to start doing or saying
anything non-constructive to Lindows.com. They as a company, and every
person I've dealt with through Lindows.com, employee or otherwise, have
been nothing but corteous and helpful, and have helped make Debconf 2 a
possibility.

--
Joe Drew <hoserhead@woot.net> <drew@debian.org>

Please encrypt email sent to me.