Re: Debian doesn't have to be slower than time.

On Sun, Feb 17, 2002 at 02:56:19PM -0500, Joey Hess wrote:

> This can go either way. Right now we have the potential for well-tested
> packages in one architecture that the maintainer uploads (typically
> i386) and the near certainty that the other architectures will still get
> untested packages. So i386 is probably slightly getting better testing of
> packages, but then, it's getting better testing anyway since so many of
> our users use that architecture.

And by extension, having less-tested packages on other architectures is
often less of a problem; e.g., I'm fairly sure the Nautilus binaries
have never been tested to make sure they run on Linux-arm, and I'm also
pretty sure that no one really cares. ;)  Given the current makeup of
the Debian community, trying to hunt down runtime failures on uncommon
architectures is about the last place I would focus QA efforts, IMHO; an
RC runtime failure in a package is usually a good indication that the
userbase for that package on the given architecture isn't very large (or
is non-existent).

Steve Langasek
postmodern programmer