Re: Debian doesn't have to be slower than time.

On Sun, Feb 17, 2002 at 12:41:44PM +0100, Michael Banck wrote:
> On Sun, Feb 17, 2002 at 10:23:20AM +0100, Michael Neuffer wrote:
> > Most of the times however it is simply a question of getting all
> > affected packages rebuild. And this is exactly where we have most
> > of our problems.
>
> There are auto-builders. There's an auto-builder for i386, too. What
> would be the difference between a build on s390 and a rebuilt on i386?
> (and all other arches)
>
> If it's really only a rebuild thats needed, I guess we could trigger
> that now, no?

I often say that getting the packages rebuilt is the bulk of the work,
but I don't really mean that the mechanical process itself of rebuilding
is what takes the time. The bulk of the work lies in making the change
to the package maintenance scripts, testing the change, discovering that
the package only actually built properly on the maintainer's system in
the first place, fixing that, making sure that the fixes don't break
anything else unforeseen, and so on. It usually doesn't take long for a
single package, but it's all human effort that has to be multiplied up
several hundred times.

An autobuilder can't help significantly with much of this, unless we
stop testing packages and declare that we no longer care about quality,
which I don't think is the case.