Re: Debian doesn't have to be slower than time.

On Sun, Feb 17, 2002 at 06:05:40PM +0100, Michael Neuffer wrote:
> 1. Packages should not only build on the maintainers machine
>    but they should be able to compile in a "standard" environment
>    to begin with.

One thing I've noticed is that packages sometimes do build in a standard
environment, just subtly differently. This is both very hard to detect
and very bad. Take one of my own packages, groff; it was OK when built
on my machine (and the previous maintainer's machine, apparently) with
lpr installed, but the -l option didn't work if lpr hadn't been
installed on the build machine. How do you propose to detect this?

>    We can ensure this by forbidding binary uploads.

That encourages people not to test the packages they build, which is
even worse. (In fact, it makes it *impossible* for them to test the
exact .deb they've built prior to upload!)

A better idea might be to have a farm of build machines to which people
could submit packages, get back the .deb, and test and upload that. I'm
not fully convinced this is viable (encouraging people to build
everything in sbuild and pbuilder is probably a better solution), but
it's better than forbidding binary uploads.

> Junichi Uekawa tried to rebuild the packages and already started
> filing bugs. With this automated he wouldn't have to do this menial,
> tedious and and often unthankful task manually.

Packages often break when their build-dependencies change ...