Re: It's Huntin' Season

 Thomas> Manoj Srivastava <srivasta@debian.org> writes:
 >> I would say that not being able to selectively over ride the
 >> autoloads for the functions in bbdb-com.el to my own versions is a
 >> bug.

 Thomas> But if I want to selectively override some random feature of ls, I'm
 Thomas> forced to do so by editing a non-conffile.  Should I file a bugs
 Thomas> against the fileutils package?

	Strawman. As has been already pointed out, site-start.d files
 are closer to init.d files than /usr/bin/ files. If you want to
 change behaviour in emacs, you may need to edit non conffiles.

	Emacs is a well known program. It comes with well known
 capabilities. Add on programs modify the capabilities of emacs. Such
 modifications should be amenable to user tweaking.

 Thomas> Clearly there are some things that might remotely want to be
 Thomas> overridden by somebody somewhere.  *Every* file, if it does
 Thomas> anything at all, might be modified by somebody to achieve
 Thomas> some effect, and thus "configure" the system.

	Yes. Well. Remember what I said about the non commonality of
 common sense?

 Thomas> There must be *some* line here.

	And we have drawn it. Stuff added by maintainers, which is run
 at emacs startup, is deemed to be stuff that is configurable by the
 end user.

	No one is asking ls to be made into a conffile.

	Could we find some other windmills to tilt at?

	manoj
--
 "God, grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the
 courage to change the things I can, and the wisdom to know the