Re: It's Huntin' Season

 Thomas> Manoj Srivastava <srivasta@debian.org> writes:
 >> Then follow the common sense examp[le of the binary -- don't
 >> ship the .el/.elc file under /etc, ship them where other ``program''
 >> .el and .elc files live.
 >>
 >> Why is this so hard to fathom?

 Thomas> The problem is that to make a binary usable from the shell, you get to
 Thomas> install it in the user's filesystem.

	Wrong analogy. Making a program available to em in emacs21
 does not require a start up file.

	If you modify /etc/profile to run the program at every login
 shell, you betcha it had better be configurable.

 Thomas> To make an emacs program usable from emacs, it's not enough
 Thomas> to just put the .el file in the right directory, you also
 Thomas> have to install it into the obarray of their emacs; that is
 Thomas> done be evaluating autoload forms.

	It is a convenience, certainly. But not a requirement. I can,
 as a user, evaluate the autoloads myself, either manually or on my
 .emacs, or I can (require 'that-file). The assumption you are making
 is that in _most_ cases all users would like to ue this code and
 would be glad of the convenience.

	For most cases, you could be right. But not for all cases,
 and hence the need to make this configurable.

	manoj
--
 Pray to God, but keep rowing to shore. Russian Proverb