Re: It's Huntin' Season

>>"Jules" == Jules Bean <jules@jellybean.co.uk> writes:

 Jules> On Tue, Feb 05, 2002 at 11:18:35PM -0500, Peter S Galbraith wrote:

 >> Emacs policy dictates that elisp files that are eval'ed at Emacs startup
 >> go under /etc/emacs.  However, these aren't necessarily configuration
 >> files (even if policy dictates that they be conffiles).  So that's a
 >> problem with Emacs policy.  (e.g. lots of other programs load some init
 >> code at startup that isn't stored under /etc nor tagged as conffiles.)

 Jules> IMO, that should be /usr/share/emacs somewhere.  (It is perfectly
 Jules> acceptable to symlink it to /etc if that seems appropriate).

	For what it is worth, I disagree strongly. Start up files
 change the behaviour of my editor-OS, and I should have a chance to
 tweak that.  Every rationale that lead us to declare that all
 configuration files need bve under /etc, and that these need to be
 editable applies to emacs lisp start files as well.

 >> It doesn't usually hurt much of anything by tagging them as such except
 >> that half (or so) of us hadn't done so.  Also, Tagging them as conffiles
 >> has the drawback that it leaves crud on the system when you remove
 >> instead of purge the package.

 Jules> If that is considered a drawback, then they definitely shouldn't be in
 Jules> /etc.  /etc is for configuration which the user would want preserved
 Jules> after remove, by (Debian-Policy) definition.

	And how exactly do emacs lisp start up files not qualify?

	manoj
--
 You humans have that emotional need to express gratitude.  "You're
 welcome," I believe, is the correct response. Spock, "Bread and