Re: Two suggestions for woody release

On Wed, Jan 30, 2002 at 11:26:11PM -0800, Thomas Bushnell, BSG wrote:
> Daniel Burrows <Daniel_Burrows@brown.edu> writes:

> >   Perhaps it should require an act of will to start automatically using
> > unstable.  Isn't there a way for Release files to set a default pin or
> > something?  (I seem to remember that experimental is not the default
> > target by default)

> If a user explicitly asks for a sid package, then that's an act of
> will.

> However, I've now been told by the apt maintainer that the default
> configuration should be to have no configuration file at all.  He put
> on a smiley; I think he more or less ignored the report, and I've
> asked him to reconsider.

From the apt maintainer's POV, this is probably correct.  Neither
/etc/apt/sources.list nor /etc/apt/preferences is a conffile, and the
only thing that apt does in its maintainer scripts is create a default
sources.list if none exists[1] -- a default file which is subsequently
mangled extensively by the Debian installer, if I'm not mistaken.

Since apt is not Debian-specific, it's reasonable to not want a
Debian-specific preferences file shipped by default.  Rather, the file
should probably be provided by some other component of the Debian
installer, IMHO.  I don't know which package this would be, however.

Steve Langasek
postmodern programmer

[1] using /usr/doc/apt/examples/sources.list as the source path, btw --
who said it wouldn't break anything if we didn't ship /usr/doc in woody?