Re: Two suggestions for woody release

Daniel Burrows <Daniel_Burrows@brown.edu> writes:

>   Perhaps it should require an act of will to start automatically using
> unstable.  Isn't there a way for Release files to set a default pin or
> something?  (I seem to remember that experimental is not the default
> target by default)

If a user explicitly asks for a sid package, then that's an act of
will.

However, I've now been told by the apt maintainer that the default
configuration should be to have no configuration file at all.  He put
on a smiley; I think he more or less ignored the report, and I've
asked him to reconsider.

Failing that, my original complaint remains.

A debian developer should have an easy thing to say to the user so
they can get a fixed package out of sid.  IIRC, saying

apt-get install -t unstable FOO

will not work without the addition of a configuration file, one that
is not trivial to figure out what is needed, and which should
therefore be available by default.

Thomas