Re: debian is slower than time (was: adrian's 2.4.x packages)

also sprach Steve Langasek <vorlon@netexpress.net> [2002.01.29.2243 +0100]:
> You know, the entry requirements for working on any other distro are
> certainly much higher than they are for Debian.  If you want to work on
> RedHat's distribution, or on SuSE's, you have to be an employee; you
> would have to interview for a position, you might have to relocate, and
> once you're hired, you work on what your employer tells you to work on.
> In contrast, it's relatively easy to get into Debian: show that you have
> the necessary skills, and that you know how to work together with other
> developers, and it's almost certain that you /will/ get in given time.

i want to join debian. i'd shoot myself would i have to join redhat or
suse.

> Still, it's important to recognize that even though Debian is open,
> there does need to be some control over who is given access to upload to
> the distribution; otherwise, Debian might become more open to
> developers at the expense of our users; a distro without any assurance
> of quality is no better than any collection of random software
> downloaded from the Net.

nothing to add. i am simply wondering what takes so long, and why it
seems to be a linear queue. stressing the point that i'll let every
other applicant ahead of me, i am wondering why people who have
already established their position with debian (like me) have to wait
until the completely new dudes up ahead have finished their lengthy
process.

> > now just *why* is it taking so long???
>
> This is a question that's usually best asked of your AM or of the NM
> frontdesk.  The general answer is: reviewing an application takes time,
> and those responsible for processing applications have no more time in a
> day than the rest of us.  One thing that's certain is that no one ever
> got through the NM queue faster by starting a thread about it on
> debian-devel...

i've been told. i'll shut up.

> Thank you for your contributions to Debian.  It cannot be stated enough
> that it takes more than just package maintainers to make Debian work as
> a distro.

word. thanks.

"information superhighway"
 is just an anagram for