Re: debian is slower than time (was: adrian's 2.4.x packages)

On Tue, Jan 29, 2002 at 09:09:54PM +0100, martin f krafft wrote:
> also sprach Noah Meyerhans <noahm@debian.org> [2002.01.29.2048 +0100]:
> > The problem with the NM process is that it's likely to take longer than
> > the woody release process.  I'm only half joking.

> which is a little ridiculous i find. i am wondering if debian wants my
> energy as a contributor, or if i want to be a debian developer. kind
> of reminds me of the donations process that i just walked someone
> through. it's more like someone has to work to donate to debian, not
> like debian wants them to donate and helps.

You know, the entry requirements for working on any other distro are
certainly much higher than they are for Debian.  If you want to work on
RedHat's distribution, or on SuSE's, you have to be an employee; you
would have to interview for a position, you might have to relocate, and
once you're hired, you work on what your employer tells you to work on.
In contrast, it's relatively easy to get into Debian: show that you have
the necessary skills, and that you know how to work together with other
developers, and it's almost certain that you /will/ get in given time.

Still, it's important to recognize that even though Debian is open,
there does need to be some control over who is given access to upload to
the distribution; otherwise, Debian might become more open to
developers at the expense of our users; a distro without any assurance
of quality is no better than any collection of random software
downloaded from the Net.

> now just *why* is it taking so long???

This is a question that's usually best asked of your AM or of the NM
frontdesk.  The general answer is: reviewing an application takes time,
and those responsible for processing applications have no more time in a
day than the rest of us.  One thing that's certain is that no one ever
got through the NM queue faster by starting a thread about it on
debian-devel...

> anyway, i don't mean to bitch, nor do i really want excuses or
> answers. contributing packages is useless at this moment, my
> contribution to debian has always been bugs, patches, and mailing
> lists, and i don't need a developer account for that. i still hope
> i got you thinking...

Thank you for your contributions to Debian.  It cannot be stated enough
that it takes more than just package maintainers to make Debian work as
a distro.

Steve Langasek
postmodern programmer