Re: bugs + rant + constructive criticism (long)

On Wed, Jan 03, 2001 at 09:08:25PM +0200, Anton Zinoviev wrote:
> > Reply-To munging does not benefit the user with a reasonable mailer.
> > People want to munge Reply-To headers to make ``reply back to the
> > list'' easy. But it already is easy. Reasonable mail programs have two
> > separate ``reply'' commands: one that replies directly to the author
> > of a message, and another that replies to the author plus all of the
> > list recipients.
>
> This doesn't apply to the Debian mailinglists.

What is this supposed to mean?

Try mutt and its "L" command.  The "L" command means "list-reply", aka
only send a message to the list, not to all recepients.  It also sets
a header flag so that other well-behaved MUA's don't send you an extra
copy of their replies since you will get it on the list anyway.

"Reply-to" is meant to send a message back to the person who wrote the
first one, not to someone they wrote the message to.

What if I set my Reply-To header to be the address I was sending To?
How would you reply to me?  ;-)

-D

PS.  this argument is pointless, just accept the Right Way to do
things and use tools that aren't broken