Re: Preparing a Proposal: 3 DD needed for every NEW package

Le Sat, Dec 29, 2001 at 11:11:17PM +0100, Bas Zoetekouw écrivait:
> Let me refrase my question: can you explictly point out some packages
> that have been ITP'ed lately and of which you think that they should not
> go into Debian because they aren't needed? I can't, so I don't think
> there's a problem here.

Heh. There's not yet a problem. :)

If you look carefully you'll find dozen of packages that were ITPed by
several persons (that means that several developers are interested in
the same package) that finally get packaged but not well maintained.
If all the developers who were initially interested could have gotten
backup maintainers, they could have noticed that the package is no more well
maintained and they could take it over or help the main maintainer
if he didn't totally disappear.

> think). Seriously though, it's not the new packages we should worry
> about (they are mostly well taken care of and not orphaned quickly), but
> the old ones.

All the old ones were new one day ... the fact that they are more or
less orphaned today is the proof that we don't have a good system to
let interested developers follow the life of a package that they are
interested in.

Cheers,
Le bouche à oreille du Net : http://www.beetell.com
Naviguer sans se fatiguer à chercher : http://www.deenoo.com