Re: Debian trademark [was: Debian GNU/w32, may ready to be started?]

On Tue, Dec 04, 2001 at 09:31:36AM -0800, Thomas Bushnell, BSG wrote:
> Anders Arnholm <anders@arnholm.nu> writes:
>
> > The seems like there are some need for that kernel still out there,
> > don't ask me why. But usally it comed down to some applications only
> > avilible to that kernel.
>
> So, these are nonfree applications, targeted only at a nonfree kernel,
> and therefore, we should help all those software hoarders out?  I
> think we should make an alternative that is as good as possible!

So could you tell me where I can get softeware to create the movie that
I need to have done this weekend in non-free software. Time is of the
essence, today we are not at this situation that everything could be
done with out non-free software. So realworld problems has to be solved
and that now. Getting more easy free software out is good.

If you deny or make it harder to use the free software in combination
with the non-free software. The users has to make the desition, what is
more important, getting the work done or using free software. I know
thet getting the work done actually happens to be important to a loot of
users. Most don't like to invest a year or two creating an alternative
first. This is the same arguemnt as GNU used when that started with
outher things than the kernel.

If the free-software in Windows enviroment are better that the non-free,
(and some are today) more developers will look at using it in there
development. That will make the free-stuff spread. But when it's hard
and unused few will use it and it wont spread. There are aloot of real
world reasons to use non-free os:en. One common that they actually
are better for the task that should be done.

For me Windows are a loot better video editing enviroment, and to play
games in. This enviroment should be a loot better if I also had a loot
of free software availibe. At the moment installing cygwin and keeping
up to date is to hard, so I'll survive with only vim :) Still most of my
work is done on Solaris, OpenBSD or Linux and only a small part of my
lessure time needs Windows.

/ Balp
--
      o_   Anders Arnholm,               HiQ - Consultant
 o/  /\    anders@arnholm.nu             Phone  : +46-703-160969