Re: Debian trademark [was: Debian GNU/w32, may ready to be started?]

On Mon, 2001-12-03 at 11:20, Steve Langasek wrote:
> I believe I've shown that the existence of the LGPL, and its continued
> use on a (limited) number of GNU projects, does in no way guarantee that
> RMS or the FSF would sanction the use of the GNU trademark to describe a
> product consisting of a collection of free software running on a
> non-free OS.  If you disagree with this point, that's your prerogative;
> but the only person who can definitively answer the question of whether
> this use of the trademark would be allowed is an empowered
> representative of the FSF itself.

I think that it is worth pointing out that "GNU" is not a registered
trademark of the Free Software Foundation. The only barrier to using it
would be politeness and deference on our part to the FSF.

Regardless of what we call it I think that a Debianization of w32 Free
Software would be a genuine Good Thing(tm). We have a stable of Windows
users here that we cannot move to Linux for one reason or another
(Dreamweaver, Illustrator, Photoshop, 3D StudioMax, etc.) and it would
be a boon if we could apt-get install various Free tools on their
machines. In some production environments it is not yet practical to
eliminate proprietary code. In these cases we need to provide easy tools
to eliminate as much of the proprietary code as possible. Embrace and
extend. Etc. Et al.

Ean Schuessler                                      ean@brainfood.com
Brainfood, Inc.                              http://www.brainfood.com