Re: I hear you...

On Thu, Nov 29, 2001 at 10:41:38AM -0800, John H. Robinson, IV wrote:
> On Thu, Nov 29, 2001 at 02:44:49AM -0600, Brian McGroarty wrote:
> >
> > The current system is broken, to a degree. Can you sit down in front
> > of a Debian box which you didn't set up, watch the startup scroll a
> > few pages in a couple seconds on a fast machine, watch the shutdown
> > scroll a couple more, and be fairly sure you know whether anything has
> > gone wrong?
>
> on a similarly configured RH system, with the bright red and green, on a
> reasonably fast system, you can see a lot of red. but by the time
> youhave read all the failures, the screen has cleard for login or X.
>
> so, by your own argument, RH also fails.

True, although at least you see that red has gone by. This is much
easier to spot than an error message zipping by with the rest of the
information.

> unless RH happens to log such failures to /ver/log/init-failures or
> something else similar. this is the route we should go. similar to
> dumping dmesg into /var/log/dmesg.
>
> > If not, then Debian lacks something that most every other OS offers,
> > and it's likely worth changing a couple things to get it.
>
> adding colour may or may not be the way. at best, that should be left up
> to admin descretion. some people like the bright red and green. others
> like the ...Done.
>
> i'd like to see the entire init messages dumped to a logfile. w/o ansi
> sequences.

For this to be most effective, perhaps colorful ANSI and a pause of
several seconds could be included before starting the display manager
when an error has occurred...

(bright red and a long beep)...
## One or more init scripts returned an error.
## View /var/log/init-failures for more information.
## Hit enter or wait 5 seconds to continue...