Re: I hear you...

Martijn van Oosterhout (kleptog@svana.org) said:
> bootstyle = classic | redhat | hpux | ...
> colo[u]r = yes | no
> okfailnote = before | after | flushright | nextline | ...
> stdout = white | lightgrey | ...
> stderr = yellow | blue | ...
> errormailto = root@localhost

This would probably be best done by defining a set of shell functions
that the init scripts call. (this is exactly what RedHat has done)

The sysadmin can then modify the behavior of the functions in a local
copy to do whatever they please (e.g. rhat style, regular text, dump
text to an lcd panel, log it to a web page, etc). Sets of functions
could be packaged together, kinda like themes I guess.

I'd be willing to spend some time working on standardizing a set of
functions and documenting them in an effort to standardize Debian init
scripts if nobody else is going to spearhead the effort.

As others have said, this would undoubtedly have to get integrated post
woody release...

--
Adam Lazur, Cluster Monkey