Re: I hear you...

On Thu, Nov 29, 2001 at 02:44:49AM -0600, Brian McGroarty wrote:

> The current system is broken, to a degree. Can you sit down in front
> of a Debian box which you didn't set up, watch the startup scroll a
> few pages in a couple seconds on a fast machine, watch the shutdown
> scroll a couple more, and be fairly sure you know whether anything has
> gone wrong?

on a similarly configured RH system, with the bright red and green, on a
reasonably fast system, you can see a lot of red. but by the time
youhave read all the failures, the screen has cleard for login or X.

so, by your own argument, RH also fails.

unless RH happens to log such failures to /ver/log/init-failures or
something else similar. this is the route we should go. similar to
dumping dmesg into /var/log/dmesg.

> If not, then Debian lacks something that most every other OS offers,
> and it's likely worth changing a couple things to get it.

adding colour may or may not be the way. at best, that should be left up
to admin descretion. some people like the bright red and green. others
like the ...Done.

i'd like to see the entire init messages dumped to a logfile. w/o ansi
sequences.

-john

but thanks for making me think of this! i had not considered the
possibility of logging init output before. i think this would be a great
boon.