Re: [logcheck] I hear you...

On Sat, Nov 24, 2001 at 05:08:59PM -0800, Karl M. Hegbloom wrote:
>  On the Empcoreour's New Red Hat machine, you can see right away, from
>  across the room even, that either all services are started, or that
>  some have failed.  On the Debian machine, you must read each message.
>  The green [OK] lights are more than just eye candy -- they have
>  practical utility as well.

While I think this is a nice idea, I don't think it should be forced on
anyone.

>  I think we can take it a step or two farther than mere colored
>  lights.  If all output goes not through "echo", but through a
>  function or program, it can not only be formatted nicely, with a
>  blank line between each script's output, for instance, it can be
>  logged, next to the boot time dmesg log.  Both stderr and stdout must
>  be logged there...  What other requirements and wishlists are there
>  for this?

The way I suggest is to simply standardize init.d scripts so that they
return 0 for success and 1 for failure and otherwise work as they do now.
Then someone can write a fancy-sysvinitrc that replaces the current startup
loop with a program that execs the init.d scripts and attaches itself to
STDOUT and STDERR and formats/colours appropriatly.

This would mean people could write their own and play with it without
forcing it on anybody else.

Policy suggestion anyone?
--
Martijn van Oosterhout <kleptog@svana.org>