Re: I hear you...

On Tue, Nov 27, 2001 at 04:54:40PM +0100, Bernhard R. Link wrote:
> * Adam Lazur <zal@debian.org> [011127 02:03]:
> > This would probably be best done by defining a set of shell functions
> > that the init scripts call. (this is exactly what RedHat has done)
>
> And after we parse in every init script these scripts and the
> configuration files, so that we get redhats lame startup, we
> can drop .deb, so das we no longer have theese irritating suggets
> and recoments, and addopt .rpm.
>
> And after this we can remove policy, make Debian a company, and release
> a distribution any half year, and not when it is stable.
>
> Any other recommends, how to reduce the quality of debian?

Injecting bitter sarcasm when people are trying to make improvements
couldn't help.

The current system is broken, to a degree. Can you sit down in front
of a Debian box which you didn't set up, watch the startup scroll a
few pages in a couple seconds on a fast machine, watch the shutdown
scroll a couple more, and be fairly sure you know whether anything has
gone wrong?

If not, then Debian lacks something that most every other OS offers,
and it's likely worth changing a couple things to get it.