Re: bad upgrade from talkd to ktalkd ... whose bug?

Christian Kurz <shorty@debian.org> wrote:

> flavours would be fine. But I'm not sure, if we really should keep those
> modules inside the packages itself, which would then mean that every
> developer has to keep track of it on his own, instead of having a
> one debian package, where all possible modules are inside and which is
> maybe maintained by the group of inetd maintainers.

When a new inetd alternative is added, it would be easier for the
maintainer to just add a module to handle that format than it would be
for the update-inetd-modules package to include a new module. Too much
package interdependance just makes things too cumbersome.

> Yes, the general idea behind this, seems like a good solution. I think
> the the details for the modules, the language to use and the decision
> which packages include which part of this, would need to be discussed a
> bit further.

I was just throwing the idea in, I hadn't thought it all the way through
to a spec and design. I'd expect people with more knowledge and experience
than me to do that bit.

What's more, I'm not really volunteering to do the work required
(although I don't think I'd be needed *or* particularly helpful), so I
can't very well say "This is the way it should be done!".
--
Sam Couter          |   Internet Engineer   |   http://www.topic.com.au/
sam@topic.com.au    |   tSA Consulting      |