Re: bad upgrade from talkd to ktalkd ... whose bug?

On 22/10/01, Norbert Veber wrote:
> On Sun, Oct 21, 2001 at 12:44:38PM -0400, Simon Law wrote:

> > > That would make it easier for inetd alternatives, such as xinetd, to correctly update
> > > their configuration files.

> > 	Isn't that why we have update-inetd(8) ?

> update-inetd doesnt update xinetd.conf.

That's not the only problem. Also g2s or to be exactly jnetd[0] uses
/etc/jnetd.conf[1] and update-inetd doesn't update that file. So if
someone is working on this issue, please keep in mind, that we should at
least support three different formats.

> I noticed that redhat now uses xinetd by default, and they have a directory
> in /etc, I think /etc/xinetd.d or something (works the same as cron.d,
> pam.d, logrotate.d, etc, etc).  I dont know if thats a better way of doing
> it or not..

Well, since xinetd allows the usage of include files, having a separate
directory where the applications place in there xinetd configuration
file and just adding a include line, is a very simple way of having the
configuration inside the binary packages. And allow the system
administrator to disable some services. On the other hand if you
directly look at the main configuration file, you won't be able to check
the whole xinetd configuration, but instead have to watch at the
application specific file in /etc/xinetd. I'm not sure about the exact
advantages or disadvantages of the daily usage of this system. But maybe
we should concentrate first on getting a generic update-inetd script
that works for all inetd's or replacements that we have in debian
currently.

Christian

[0] jnetd is the exact name of the binary inside and the website of the
current upstream for it, can be found at http://www.jnetd.net. g2s was
the name that the former upstream used when starting to work on jnetd.

[1] Maybe that name changes to /etc/jnetd.cf in the future. But I'll
offer a working upgrade path from  /etc/jnetd.conf to /etc/jnetd.cf

--
           Debian Developer (http://www.debian.org)