Re: Bug in bash

On Fri, 28 Sep 2001, Bruce Jackson wrote:

> If I do the following:  echo "bob\n" the output is:
> bob\n
>
> I tried this on HP-UX and Solaris and the output is:
> bob
>
> The newline is added.  None of the Backslash escape sequence work (ie \a
> \b \t etc).  It works fine with pdksh and csh.  I am not sure where the
> bug is coming from.

the "bug" is found in the fact that GNU shellutils differ from all other
sane shellutils in that if you want to use escape-sequences in echo, you
have to provide the "-e" argument. AFAIK, there is no option that can be
set to make this work as it does on any oter unix.

--
wouter dot verhelst at advalvas in Belgium

This is Linux world. On a quiet day, you can hear Windows reboot.