Re: Bug in bash

On Fri, 28 Sep 2001, Bruce Jackson wrote:

> If I do the following:  echo "bob\n" the output is:
> bob\n
> I tried this on HP-UX and Solaris and the output is:
> bob
> The newline is added.  None of the Backslash escape sequence work (ie \a
> \b \t etc).  It works fine with pdksh and csh.  I am not sure where the
> bug is coming from.

the "bug" is found in the fact that GNU shellutils differ from all other
sane shellutils in that if you want to use escape-sequences in echo, you
have to provide the "-e" argument. AFAIK, there is no option that can be
set to make this work as it does on any oter unix.

wouter dot verhelst at advalvas in Belgium

This is Linux world. On a quiet day, you can hear Windows reboot.