Re: AOP: openh323gatekeeper

On Tue, May 29, 2001 at 10:53:23PM +1000, Daniel Stone wrote:
> If the TXT record is there, maybe. I haven't seen this behaviour. I've
> tested all 3 OpenH323 gatekeepers in conjunction with OpenMCU and NetMeeting
> at work, and it will only connect people who are registered with that
> gatekeeper. For instance, if a NetMeeting client registers as "moocows",
> then you can just dial "moocows", and the gatekeeper will proxy it through
> to the correct person.

True. Actually, in the gatekeeper config you can specify neighbours which I
think are other gatekeepers it will check, and prefixes which tell it that
requests beginning with, say, 0061 go to gatekeeper X.

> > I think I read somewhere that a truly general purpose proxy was not possible
> > for H323 because if an IP address is specified then the client will try to
> > connect directly rather than through the proxy (because the proxy pretends
> > to be a gatekeeper). It seems to me to be more an issue of the clients
> > rather than the protocol though. Any ideas?
>
> It depends, if you specify a gatekeeper, it will always try.

Well, it seems that if you specify the IP address, it will just connect
there, no questions asked.

--
Martijn van Oosterhout <kleptog@svana.org>
http://svana.org/kleptog/