Re: AOP: openh323gatekeeper

On Tue, May 29, 2001 at 09:06:27PM +1000, Martijn van Oosterhout wrote:
> On Tue, May 29, 2001 at 07:38:34PM +1000, Hamish Moffatt wrote:
> > Users of different gatekeepers, or of no gatekeeper at all, cannot call
> > you if you use a gatekeeper.
>
> Hmm, my understanding was (untested) that it supported user@domain type
> name, where the domain is looked up to find the gatekeeper. From looking at
> the code, if there exists a TXT record in a domain of the form:
>
> ras [user@]gatekeeper.host.name
>
> then requests for user@domain will be resolved and connected using that
> gatekeeper. If that fails, it will try to use the domain given as a
> hostname. So user@hostname should work, no?

Hi kleptog,

If the TXT record is there, maybe. I haven't seen this behaviour. I've
tested all 3 OpenH323 gatekeepers in conjunction with OpenMCU and NetMeeting
at work, and it will only connect people who are registered with that
gatekeeper. For instance, if a NetMeeting client registers as "moocows",
then you can just dial "moocows", and the gatekeeper will proxy it through
to the correct person.

> I don't really know how netmeeting works, but how do you usually specify the
> destination? Just by ip address?

You can either specify the IP address, or use its hacked-to-hell-and-back
"LDAP" (see the NetMeeting-HOWTO) to call someone - which just grabs its IP
and makes the call.

> > Hence it isn't really a general purpose proxy for netmeeting.
>
> I think I read somewhere that a truly general purpose proxy was not possible
> for H323 because if an IP address is specified then the client will try to
> connect directly rather than through the proxy (because the proxy pretends
> to be a gatekeeper). It seems to me to be more an issue of the clients
> rather than the protocol though. Any ideas?

It depends, if you specify a gatekeeper, it will always try.

:) d

--
Daniel Stone		<daniel@kabuki.openfridge.net> <daniel@kabuki.sfarc.net>