Re: nautilus1.0 in woody...

On Thu, Mar 22, 2001 at 03:02:34PM -0500, Aubin Paul wrote:
> > We can no longer claim to support Debian unstable with Ximian
> > GNOME, since unstable is changing a bit too fast underneath us. If
> > there are problems with testing or stable, though, I'd really
> > appreciate it if people would submit bug reports to
> > bugzilla.ximian.com.
>
> Well, that's probably reasonable. You'd have to have an autobuilder
> to keep up with us ;) What would be best though, is if dependencies
> were reasonable... why is gnome-libs (>=1.3.11ximian) incompatible
> with gnome-libs (>=1.3.11) It's frustrating that installing a deb of
> red-carpet will clobber most of your packages.

Again, I agree with this.  I will not, to this day, install anything
from Ximian BECAUSE of the versioning problems.  I ran into it with
Helix and the problem has not been resolved.

Why doesn't Ximian use a set of versioning that complies with the rest
of the world?  When you make a debian package, the Debian version is
separated from the software version with a hyphen('-').  gnome-libs
version 1.3.11-ximian1.0 would be dependency compatible with
gnome-libs (>=1.3.11).

If it's important to me, I grab an 'apt-get source <package>', edit
the changelog so that the version is something workable and useable,
and compile it myself.

--
Chad Walstrom <chewie@wookimus.net>                 | a.k.a. ^chewie
Key fingerprint = B4AB D627 9CBD 687E 7A31  1950 0CC7 0B18 206C 5AFD