Re: Maintainership.

To quote Daniel Stone <daniel@kabuki.openfridge.net>,
# On 21 Mar 2001 16:13:33 -0500, Ben Collins wrote:
# > On Wed, Mar 21, 2001 at 03:59:27PM -0500, David B. Harris wrote:
# > > Good day :)
#
# Gidday :)
#
# > Actually yes, most people would be irritated if you were MIA from
the
# > get go. I would suggest just helping along with various non-DD
things
# > (bug reports, testing, etc..) before becoming a developer, until you
# > can allot some time to do things.
#
# Well, depends what he means when he says he's going to bugger off, but
# have to (largely) agree with you.

Well, what I mean would be to get through the bloody
maintainership-getting process, then not do anything :) I might choose a
package or two, get them worked out, release them, and then
(occasionally) update them. But nothing big, nothing long-term. I'll
still be subscribed to debian-devel, and checking my mail, and logging
into my computer. But for 10 weeks, it'll be extremely limited. That's
when I'll be in basic training. After that, I'll have a year and a half
of school-ish type stuff, where I'll be able to more actively maintain
what few package I've released, and start looking for more things to
package :)

I just wanted to know, because I've got plenty of free time right now to
go through the hoops required to become a maintainer, and I don't know
if I'll have that later. However, I can't accept any longish-term
responsibility, since I'll be rather restricted for 10 weeks, then
busy-ish for another year and a half :) So I'm in a bit of a conundrum;
become a maintainer now, and not do much at all, or maybe become a
maintainer later :)

I think I'm just going to wait - it's no biggie, and I'll have a better
idea of how much time I can set aside once I've actually started the
year and a half of specialization training.

David Barclay Harris, Clan Barclay
    Aut agere, aut mori. (Either action, or death.)