Re: PRE Version numbers

On Tue, Jan 16, 2001 at 09:49:11AM +0100, Petr Cech wrote:
> > Well, I uploaded more than once a broken orig file (repackaged and changed
> > content because of left over and not cleaned config stuff). I learned to
> > check this but i would be realy troubled if i have to bother a archive
> > maintainer each time i want to fix this.
>
> so we'll use .srpm :)) bet away with -1.diff.gz and have a nice -1.tar.gz
> :)) see my other mail about .ds?.orig.tar.gz

I'm firmly of the belief that we should get two tarballs, a .orig.tar.gz
and a .debian.tar.gz (or bz2 or whatever..)  Somewhere along the line
there oughtta be a set of unpack instructions in case the orig does
something weird.  Of course the things that make using a debian tarball
instead of a diff such a good idea also make generating the debian tarball
automatically a much more complex problem.  That's probably why it hasn't
been done, but It Would Be Nice(TM).

Our source format is antiquated, and people are working on it AFAIK.

--
Joseph Carter <knghtbrd@debian.org>                Free software developer

<gorgo> what do you get when someone cracks your debian machine ?
<gorgo> mashed potato...