Re: PRE Version numbers

    Joseph> On Sun, Jan 14, 2001 at 11:31:31PM +0200, Antti-Juhani
    Joseph> Kaijanaho wrote:
    >> > Nope, katie(the new dinstall) doesn't currently support -sa.
    >>
    >> Yes it does (-sa is default with -0 and -1 uploads).  What it
    >> does not support, and AFAIK never will, is replacing a file
    >> already in the pool with a different file with the same name.

    Joseph> Then katie has broken pre-versions such that even our
    Joseph> crappy hack used for 3 years because nobody wants to
    Joseph> actually attack the problem in dpkg will not work.  A real
    Joseph> solution is now not a luxury but a necessity.

Why should source packages be treated differently to binary packages?

Currently, it is possible to cache Debian packages for ever, based on
the version number. This is because packages are guaranteed never to
change unless the version number is also incremented.

Are you saying this is wrong for upstream source packages?
--
Brian May <bam@debian.org>