Re: PRE Version numbers

On Tue, Jan 16, 2001 at 09:41:31AM +0100, Petr Cech wrote:
> > $ dpkg --compare-versions 1.4-0pre2-1 lt 1.4-1 && echo true || echo false
>
> but if you use pre2.(dot not -)1 it will work
>
> cech@merlin:% dpkg --compare-versions 1.4-0pre2.1 lt 1.4-1 && echo true || echo false
> true

That would be ...

foo_1.4-0pre2.1.dsc
foo_1.4-0pre2.1.diff.gz
foo_1.4.orig.tar.gz (which is actually pre2)

... and ...

foo_1.4-1.dsc
foo_1.4-1.diff.gz
foo_1.4.orig.tar.gz (which is actually the release)

This is not nice to other archs and katie will now puke on 1.4-1 with a
new orig (by design), leaving you with three choices, all of them bad.
You can:

	1. Remove the orig all together, then you can use whatever version
	   you like without katie EVER complaining.  Of course, that's a
	   nightmare without CVS.  Basic CVS knowledge most people seem to
	   have doesn't cover branches let alone merging in new upstream.
	   On top of all of that, this is highly frowned upon (and is
	   possibly even a policy violation, I haven't bothered to look it
	   up to be sure..)
	2. Upload the first 1.4 orig as the pre version.  Of course,
	   you'll be lying about what it is.  Your diff will contain the
	   changes between 1.4pre2 and 1.4 as well as the Debianizations.
	   Doogie sees no problem with this, and if you use Doogie's Brain
	   damange System you probably won't mind either.  CVS can be used
	   as above.  Policy may have no problem with this, but I do.
	3. Further mutilate the version number and either ignore people
	   bitching about it or tell them to either direct all of their
	   complaints about it upstream since dpkg can't support that kind
	   of versioning.

Or there's my fourth option..  Fix the damned problem in dpkg, apt, and
katie, then be done with it once and for all.  If it'll be accepted, I
have such a patch for dpkg already.  I need to test the parser more.  If
Culus would prefer, I can do the same for apt.  katie will have to be
someone else's most likely since I've not even seen its source yet.

--
Joseph Carter <knghtbrd@debian.org>                Free software developer

<_Anarchy_> acf: maybe April 1 next year slashdot needs to run "Rob Malda
            accepts new job as head of Debian project" 8)