Re: NetBSD pkgsrc function

Hello,

On Sat, Dec 09, 2000 at 09:31:51AM +1100, Hamish Moffatt wrote:
> IMHO, 'make world' appeals to people who want to compile
> everything from source, without ever using binary packages.
> At Debian we are already used to using binaries.

if for some reason you want to keep the source anyhow, why
not compile your system from the source you already have?
This would exclude every chance of a mismatch between code
in the source tree and binary code in your running system.
You also save the effort of downloading both source and
binaries, and stick to downloading only the source
(compressed CVSup comes in nice here).

I'd also like to know how one would go about building a
complete Debian system with all packages from source.
"make build" seems to be a real time saver, especially
in the absense of a fine-grained packaging system and also
a developer community that appears to be smaller by an order
of magnitude. For me, since building the system is easy
and requires only very little of my attention, if any,
and for the core developers, too, since plugging the
source together with that interesting BSD set of
Makefiles is probably easier than maintaining long lists
of dependencies by hand.

Best Regards,
--Toni++