Re: NetBSD pkgsrc function

On Fri, Dec 08, 2000 at 12:29:12AM -0600, Chad '^chewie' Walstrom wrote:
> It sounds like the "ports" and "pkgsrc" functionality you describe is
> yet another way to navigate and identify software based on it's
> purpose or functionality.  If I understand you correctly, the
> navigation is implemented via the file system heirarchy itself,
> correct?  This has some intruiging ramifications, but I doubt that it

Actually, there's a bit more to it than that. /usr/ports effectively
contains the equivalent of Debian's .diff.gz for every source
package. The makefiles obtain the original source off the net,
build the binary package, and install it.

You can get precompiled binary packages of a subset of the ports, I think.
They are just made by compiling the ports.

This probably appeals to system admin types who think software
must always be installed from source code, and never precompiled
binaries, but we don't seem to have those hangups at Debian.

Hamish