Re: Offline mail reader for several lists

On Fri, Dec 08, 2000 at 10:46:16AM -0800, Stephen Zander wrote:

>     Matt> I don't think that rsync will work for this, at least not
>     Matt> with a single mailbox file.  Something would have to keep
>     Matt> track of deleted messages, and delete them on the server.
>     Matt> You could hack something up if, rather than deleting
>     Matt> messages, you saved them to a 'deleted' folder, which would
>     Matt> be processed when you went back online (by deleting the
>     Matt> messages on the server, and flushing the mailbox).
>
> If you have single-message-per-file, then the --delete option rsync
> will take care of this for you (assuming you have permission to
> actually delete on the target machine).
>
> If you have multiple-message-per-file then rsync will handle this
> regardless.

Will it?  The filenames would have to be message-IDs or some other unique (and
awkward) token in order for this to work in both directions, plus some logic to
know if a message is new or has been deleted.  Syncing A->B is easy; it's
bidirectional synchronization that requires the extra smarts.

--
 - mdz