Re: Offline mail reader for several lists

On Thu, Dec 07, 2000 at 02:00:13PM +0100, Michael Meskes wrote:

> > It needn't be the mail reader, it could be a separate "Folder synchronizer"
> > program as well. I tend to change things like Mail readers and Window
> > managers only once every two years :-)
>
> Folder synchronisation is easy, I'd use rsync for this.

It's not quite that easy, I don't think.  When synchronizing mail folders,
you want to synchronize in both directions, so that:

- When you delete a message in (one of) the local mailbox(es), it gets deleted
  on the server
- When a new message arrives on the server, it is synced to the client(s)
- (Possibly) when a message is deleted in one client's local mailbox, it is
  also deleted in the other(s') mailbox(es)

I don't think that rsync will work for this, at least not with a single mailbox
file.  Something would have to keep track of deleted messages, and delete them
on the server.  You could hack something up if, rather than deleting messages,
you saved them to a 'deleted' folder, which would be processed when you went
back online (by deleting the messages on the server, and flushing the mailbox).

--
 - mdz