Re: Offline mail reader for several lists

On Tue, Dec 05, 2000 at 09:30:18PM -0600, Timmy Douglas wrote:
> >I could maybe (tips how?) use fetchmail to check all folders to which
> >procmail delivers mail and forward the new ones home, deleting them on the
> >work machine. But at home I may want to delete (most of) the new messages,
> >keep a few in the different folders, maybe even administer my folders at
> >home, moving a few messages around and then write back the changes to the
> >folders to my work machine.
>
> I don't think you understand the mail process. Maybe you do, but here
> is how I believe it works by default:
>
> The mail is stored in a POP3 server.

I don't think POP3 is what he's looking for. He needs an IMAP4 server and an
offline capable mail client.

> Your machine downloads the mail from that POP3 server with fetchmail.

Of course you can do that. But then you need rsync or something like that to
have the very same mail boxes on your office machine. As far as I understood
Nils mail we are not talking about some server but about his office machine
where he also sits at from time to time and wants to see the same set of
email as on his home machine.

Since sending mail is a matter of your sendmail/postfix/exim setup it simply
comes down to "which mail reader is capable of synchronising with imap4
while on-line and can give you full access to the cached boxes while
off-line"?

I know StarOffice can, but are there others? In fact I'd be very interested
in this too. Not having time to look up all mail clients I worked around
this by installing an IMAP4 server on my home machine as well, so I only
have to sync the Maildir.

Michael
--
Michael Meskes