Re: long term goals of debian membership

James Troup <james@nocrew.org> writes:

> Bob Hilliard <hilliard@debian.org> writes:
>
> > Martin Michlmayr <tbm@debian.org> writes:
> >
> > >   - If you have not generated a GnuPG key yet, please do so.  Your GPG
> > >     key must be a sign AND encryption key.
> >
> >      Why should an encryption key be required?
>
>  o Both DAM account creation and db.debian.org password changing
>    scripts assume an encrypt-capable key and fail in nasty ways when
>    they are given one that isn't.
>
>  o Every single sign-only key I've seen, without exception, has been a
>    mistake; the user didn't realise the implications of choosing a
>    DSA-only key.
>
>  o Both privacy and consistency are good; it's nice to be able to
>    contact someone with a degree of privacy not afforded by
>    unencrypted email and currently you can encrypt mail to any Debian
>    developer.
>
> Don't get me wrong, if someone can demonstrate a genuine reason why
> it's impossible for them to have a sign+encrypt key, we'll talk.  But
> for the 644 existent developers, this hasn't been the case, so for now
> I'd rather discourage a common mistake and deal with the problem of
> encrypt not being possible when and if we come to it.

     "Vince Mulhollon" <vlm@norlight.com> just posted an excellent
rationale for requiring encryption capability - mailing the original
password to the new maintainer.

     This fully satisfies my concerns with Martin's (Martin Michlmayr
<tbm@debian.org>) excellent advice to NMs.

Bob
--
   _