Re: [humourous interjection] Re: long term goals of debian membership

On Mon, Dec 04, 2000 at 07:23:12PM -0500, Ben Collins wrote:
> > I find it remarkable the people are so quick to dismiss unions as
> > impediments to all that is right and good.  What did you do with your
> > weekend?  If you didn't spend it working 12 hour days, you really
> > should think twice before making these comments.
>
> I used to work under a union. It took the employer two months to fire me
> (because I quit, and didn't come in anymore) because they had to ask the
> union to do so.
>
> That might sound great from a union member standpoint, but think about the
> employer's woes.

Well, personally, I don't have much sympathy for employers, but that's
another discussion.  But yes, there are lots of overly burocratic
unions out there.  But they have given us the weekend, and the 40 hour
work week (although not yet in the tech industry), among other
innovations.  That's why it saddens me that people dismiss them out of
hand.

	sam th
	sam@uchicago.edu
	http://www.abisource.com/~sam/