Re: long term goals of debian membership

Glenn McGrath <bug1@optushome.com.au> wrote:

> A great idea is worthless unless people actually do the work to
> implement it.

True.  But a great idea can be ruined by poor implementation.  Take, for
example, the Windows registry:

A common database provided by the operating system and available for all
applications to use and coordinate with each other - A good idea.

The Windows Registry - A poor implementation.

See?

Anyhow, this is getting off topic.  Working to speed up the procedure for
allowing talented, interested, devoted persons to join the ranks of
developers is a good thing to do.  (I myself have recruited a talented
person who is currently waiting to gain his status of developer; so I
understand the frustration.)  Working to permit just anyone to join,
however, is a bad thing.  We could afford to let anyone join back in the
old days (when I joined), but Debian has too much exposure now to throw
caution to the wind.

- Brian