Re: long term goals of debian membership

> Debian is NOT making the most out the open source/free software
> developers fan base by a long way.

I get so sick of hearing this argument/troll. Making it easier for joe
blow to become a developer, when he might only submit one package, with
his "leet" script he developed in highschool for organizing mp3's, is not
going to make Debian better.

What will make Debian better is to have full-fledged developers who are
better than average.

Those people who just want to do a few things in passing ("I started using
Debian and I want to help"), do not need an @debian.org email, nor an
account on our systems just to file bugs, provide patches, test and write
docs. Neither do really good coders who can only put in an few hours of
work every few months (e.g. Linus would not make a good Debian developer
because he cannot put in a decent amount of time just for Debian). Don't
get me wrong, I'm not trying to say developers need to work Debian as a
full-time job, but doing something atleast once a week is a must to stay
on top of policy and distribution specific things. Being a developer means
you need to stay "in the mix".

Those people who say "I can't do that. I shouldn't have to read
debian-devel just to be a developer", well I'm sorry, but I feel that our
developers do need to keep in touch to do their volunteer work properly,
else you are cheating Debian, it's users and your fellow developers.
Developers that just "get by" are probably taking a position that could be
better served by people who can put in the effort and time (you folks that
can't aren't bad, just that Debian is getting too big not to have
developers that can, and keep too many developers who can't).

Ben

PS: bring on the flames, I know this is going to get nasty. If you get
real shitty, please make it private email so the list doesn't have to hear
the clashing of our swords :)