Re: long term goals of debian membership

bug1@optushome.com.au (Glenn McGrath) wrote:

> So is one better than average person more valuable than 10 or 100 less
> skilled people ?

Are you kidding?  Yes, it certainly is.  Substandard work and poor ideas,
even if implemented with great vigor, usually prove to be more detrimental
than good.

Take dpkg, for instance.  We don't let just anybody work on that code.  It
is far too important to trust to just anybody.  Ian Jackson was careful to
guard it against tampering by unqualified hands, and he was correct to do
so.

Speaking of Ian, I miss his posts.  He was arrogant as hell, but guess
what?  He was almost always right.

- Brian